2018 Smokin’ on the River
BBQ Contest & Festival
2018 Smokin’ on the River BBQ Contest & Festival is a Fundraiser to raise money for the
Cindy Platt Boys’& Girls’ Club of Transylvania County.
Friday, April 27th
Saturday, April 28th
Tickets $15 per adult*
Kids are free
Ticket price includes sampling all the BBQ until you pop and entry to both music stages.
*A portion of the ticket sale proceeds go directly to the Boys’ & Girls’ Club in the form of a check presented during the Awards ceremony. We also encourage you make a separate donation area to help this wonderful organization. There will be area’s in the festival where you can make your own donation.
BBQ Teams will compete for prizes in the following categories:
- Pork Shoulder/Butt for Blind Judging
- Pork Ribs for Blind Judging
- Pork shoulder/butt Peoples’ Choice
- Grand Champion Award
*Teams must enter all three to be considered for Grand Champion Award.
Blind Judging – Judges samples from teams without knowing which team BBQ it is).
People’s Choice – People sample BBQ from teams and vote on their favorite.
- BBQ samples available for tasting and voting pleasure. (Pulled pork, slaw, beans).
- Sampling begins Friday at 5pm and voting cut off at 3pm Saturday the 28th.
- Awards Ceremony and Fundraising Check Presentation around 4pm Saturday the 28th.
- Beverages available at both the Pavilion and Barn Stage areas. Food available at the Pavilion as well.
Teams will be allowed to set up as early as Thursday if Needed. Sites are 20’x20’ and are first come, first served. You can come Thursday to “save” your spot. In previous years, I have required all product used for entry be inspected to ensure product is in original packaging and held at safe temperature. This year, our main objective is to be ready to hand out samples starting at 5pm, Friday the 27th. Teams must be set up and ready to go by that time. Peoples’ Choice voting lasts from Friday the 27th at 5pm until Saturday the 28th at 3pm. Whichever team gets the most votes will be the Peoples’ Choice Champion and be eligible to be considered for Grand Champion! Teams are encouraged to keep sample sizes small so people can taste as many teams food as possible. For the first time, this year, we will have contests for sauce, slaw and beans including Peoples’ Choice! 2oz. portion cups are provided.
• Teams must have “Blind Judging” containers turned in to Pavilion Judging area by 12 noon Saturday the 28th. Both pulled pork and ribs must be turned in to be considered for Grand Champion Award. “Blind Judging” will also include sauce, beans, and slaw. Teams will turn in (2) 2oz. portion cups of each entry they wish to be judged. These “mini contests” are not required to enter to be considered for Grand Champ.
Unless teams want a cash prize, team entry is free. This can be decided at the early “Cooks’ Meeting”, date TBD.
Friday ~ 5:30pm – 7:30pm & 8:00pm – 10:00pm
Saturday ~ 11:00am -1:00pm & 1:30pm – 3:30pm
We will have two stages this year; The Pavillion and the Barn
The Pavilion –
Acoustic/lightly amplified music
Food and drink available
This is the area where the teams will be passing out their samples to hopefully get voted Peoples’ Choice Champ.
Beverages and vendors are located in this area as well.
Pretty Little Goat Band
The Clay Babies